March 04, 2018


A fine mess resolved!

Remember my post from Friday about the problem Aga range cooker? Well yesterday we sorted it. I went along with Philip thinking I'd be there for an hour or two as moral support. 6 hours later and covered in every kind of grime we were done! There is more info on each pic. As ever the logo on the front has been removed digitally as its a trademark.

In this pic you can see pretty much every part of the internals. We've replaced the rear panel with its holes and installed the secondary air pipe below the burner. If you think it all looks a bit wonky then don't worry - we sorted this!'Standard' Aga range cooker disassembled

This pic shows Philip sealing the gasket. The barrel is on the floor. We essentially have rebuilt this cooker from the ground up!

Aga range cooker barrel on floor

This is the secondary air feed pipe that draws cool air from the front of the cooker to mix with the flue gases. It's a second hand one we found for Mr F in our storage unit but perfectly serviceable! The powder you can see bottom right is the remains of the insulation.

Aga range cooker air feed mixer pipe

Ok so front is on, smoke box is attached and oven tunnels are aligned!

Cream Aga range cooker assembly

The finished item! Two days work and completely rebuilt! This cooker was installed in 1944 and has never been moved since. Extraordinary what can be achieved!

Re-enamelled Aga range cooker


Matthew Bates
Matthew Bates

Author

Matthew is from a farming family near Bath and a graduate of King's College London who decided not to follow the 'standard' path into banking or the law. He has been working with these fabulous cookers in some form or another since 2003. Matthew runs Blake and Bull from beautiful Bradford on Avon, near Bath. Alf the golden retriever makes sure the working day finishes at 6pm sharp - dog walk time!