Makes 3 jars – one to eat on Christmas Day and two to give as presents! Make these 4 weeks to a year in advance of Christmas! Don't freeze.
- 1 lb (450g) cranberries
- 1” (2.5 cms) piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken up
- 1 tsp whole allspice, bruised
- 6 cloves
- ½ pint (275ml) cider vinegar
- 8 oz (225g) demerara sugar
Put the spices into a muslin bag. Put into a large pan, with the cranberries, sugar and vinegar.
Slowly bring to the boil and transfer to the floor of the roasting oven about 15 minutes, until the berries are soft and the liquid reduced.
Remove from the heat, take out the bag of spices and pour into warmed, sterilised jars. Seal the jars whilst still hot.