By: Sarah Whitaker
Meal Type: Main course
Cook time:1 hour 30 Minutes
Cosy, colourful, warming and delicious! This recipe is from the wonderful Sarah Whitaker!
- 8 oz (½ pint/300ml in a measuring jug) risotto rice
- 1 pint (550ml) vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 large raw beetroot
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 oz (85g) goats’ cheese
- Put the beetroot, whole, into the roasting oven for half an hour. On the floor of the oven is fine unless you have an 'Electrikit', 'Total Control' or 'Dual Control' cooker Remove from the oven, trim the leaves off and allow to cool.
- Peel and chop the onion, crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and add the onions and garlic. Cover and when the lid of the pan is too hot to rest your hand on, transfer the pan to the simmering oven for about 15 minutes for the onions to soften.
- Grate the beetroot – use a processor or put rubber gloves on, or you will have purple hands for a week!
- Move the pan to the simmering plate and add the risotto rice, grated beetroot and stock. Cover, bring to the boil and return the pan to the simmering oven for about half an hour, until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Take the risotto out of the oven, add the cheese and leave to stand for 5 minutes while the cheese melts. Stir and serve with a scattering of chopped parsley.