Meal Type: Accompaniment
Cook time: 24 Hours
Servings: Depends on the marrow size!
We love it when you range loving industrious lot share your top tips with us, here is Evelyn's Marvellous Marrow Preserve - a perfect sticky delight to hoard away for a Christmas cheeseboard! 🍎
You may need...
- Apples (great to use windfalls or bruised)
- Equivalent weight of Jam Sugar to your marrow weight
- Stem or fresh ginger to taste
- your marrow needs to be finely diced, sit overnight in the same weight of jam sugar, and crystallised ginger (or fresh)
- The next day, heat your marrow slowly and cook for a while until the marrow softens then add as many chopped apples as you like.
- When the apples soften bring to a rolling boil.
- Test for setting point, if not set boil up again for about three minutes which you may have to repeat until you are happy it will set.
- Put into warm sterilised jars and cover.
- You can check the consistency and setting point by pulling your spoon across the base of the pan, the two sides of chutney should not immediately meet. Or pop a bit on a chilled plate to see if it 'sets' after a short while.
- You can sterilise your jars in a dishwasher, no need to boil on the range top.