By: Matthew Bates
Meal Type: Dinner, Lunch
Cook time: 50 Minutes
A warming winner of a dinner to make your bonfire night go off with a BANG-er!
Can be kept in the simmering oven whilst you go off and see the fireworks for an hour or so, or keep in the fridge for 48hrs and warm up from cold for a little longer..
- 450g (1lb) of good quality pork sausages
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 3 Rashers of smoked back bacon
- 4 Tbsp dry white vermouth
- 1 Tin canellini beans (400g)
- 1 Tin Chopped tomatoes (400g)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Roasting oven 200℃, 400℉, Gas 6 & Simmering oven 130℃, 250℉, or Gas 1
1. Separate and slice the sausages into 1" / 2cm rounds and place the oil in a heavy based casserole. Heat on a low heat and add the sausages, turning so that they become coated with the oil .
2. Transfer the pan to the floor of the roasting oven and allow the sausages to cook for 10 mins, shaking occasionally, until golden brown. Pour off any excess fat, leaving about a tablespoonful. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and mix well, then return to the floor of the oven for 10 mins to brown.
3. Set the pan onto the simmering plate and stir in the drained beans, tin of tomatoes, vermouth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, then cover and put into the simmering oven for around half an hour.
4. stir in the basil and serve with mashed potato, baked potatoes or just fresh bread.