Blake & Bull community member and baker, Helen, has gifted us this delicious fruit cake recipe suitable to make in Aga range cookers. Laced with black tea this moist bake delights her work colleagues, they never leave a crumb, lucky them I say!
The crunchy demerara sugar sprinkled on the outside makes this cake indulgent, and moreish!
This recipe is the perfect fit for our Square Cake Tin with even heat distribution, a large surface area, and excellent conductivity.
NOTE: Prep your fruit 4 hours ahead of time.
You may need...
Right, lets get cooking!
1. Prepare your tin as required, our square one needs a light layer of butter and a dusting of flour.
2. Put chopped apricots, dried fruit, orange zest, orange juice and hot black tea into a small saucepan and leave to soak for at least 4 hours
3. Once soaked, pop the pan onto the heat and simmer until the liquid has nearly all but evaporated. If you have a pan that can be transferred to the simmering oven, you can start them on the hob and transfer to the simmering oven, checking until ready. Making the most of your cookers heat.
4. When the liquid has 'cooked off', add your sugar, butter and spices. stir until melted, be careful not to burn it, and do not leave it. Then let it cool for 15 mins, transfer to a cool bowl to speed this up.
5. When cool enough, beat your eggs and add these with your flour and salt if required. Do not over-mix, but do make sure all your fruit is combined.
6. Bake for 55-70 mins, until well risen and golden brown. Helen covers hers with foil if it starts to colour too quickly, you could use a chilled cold shelf on the set of runners immediately above your bake for this too.
6. When a skewer or knife comes out from the centre clean then you are all done and ready to devour (once cooled, if you can bear it!) with your favourite hot beverage!
You might like to try..
Cake strips with this recipe, let us know how you get on! And I think it would taste equally delicious with a zesty lightly spiced with ginger 'drizzle' instead of the demerara sugar. What do you think?
Share your baking photos to become part of our growing 'Gallery Of Bakes'! firstname.lastname@example.org
We love what we do, are obsessive about customer service and have the reviews to prove it! If you have any questions before you order do get in touch, we are always happy to have a chat!
A small team of friendly people who focus on Aga range cookers!
Get our '12 ways to save money running your cooker' guide, the occasional special offer plus tips and advice! Join us now!