Summer Fruit, almond & Chocolate Tray Bake
This delicious slab of a cake is easy to make, and bakes beautifully. It is a variation on a basic cake mix with added ground almonds and milk. With cocoa powder it is delicious with later summer fruits like raspberries, cherries and blackberries popped in the top. In early summer add roasted vanilla rhubarb! in mid summer? Plump British plums of course!
You may need...
Ingredients for the cake:
- 200g of Soft butter
- 3 Beaten free range eggs
- 2-3 tbsp Whole milk (you'll need more if you add the cocoa)
- 200g of Caster sugar
- 50g of Ground almonds
- 250g of Self raising flour
- For the chocolate version 50-75g of cocoa (chocolate or full on chocolate!)
- fruit to pop in top, washed, pitted & halved
- Icing sugar to 'dress' or toasted ground almonds...
Lets get cooking!
1. Line your cake tin ready to receive your gooey mix! Cream together your butter and sugar until pale in colour and fluffy. Then gently add your beaten eggs a tablespoon or so at a time to prevent curdling.
2. Weigh out all your dry ingredients, and bung them in. combine them quickly, do not over mix. This will give you a light bake.
3. Add in your milk to loosen your batter
4. Dollop into your tin and place your fruit into the top, pushing down just a little.
5. Sprinkle with flaked almonds if you wish to!
Bake:You will need to use the cold shelfto moderate the temperature if you do not have a baking oven. After approximately 30-40 minutes, the shelf will cease to be effective, but the cake should be ready to gobble by then!
Ideal oven temp 150-160℃ for 30-35 mins