Meal Type: Main course
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Servings: A family feast!
A smoky and spicy traybake – everything is cooked in one tin to minimise washing up!
For the chipotle marinade:
- 1 tbsp. chipotle paste
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. honey or soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the traybake:
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, cut into chunky wedges
- 2 red peppers (or one red and one orange/yellow), cut into thick strips
- 2 corn on the cob, halved
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (approximately 600g), cut into 3cm/1 inch cubes
- 8 cloves garlic (skin on)
- 1 avocado, diced and spritzed with the juice of half a lime
- 100g feta cheese
- Handful freshly chopped coriander
- Finely sliced red chilli (optional)
- If you have time, marinate the chicken a couple of hours in advance. Even half an hour would be good, although not essential. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and season with a little salt. Trim the chicken of large pieces of fat and slash the top of each thigh a few times with a sharp knife. Place the chicken in a non-metallic bowl with half the marinade and stir to coat thoroughly. Cover and leave in fridge until ready to cook.
- Line a full-sized ‘fits on runners’ roasting tin with a silicone liner. In a large bowl, toss the onions, peppers and corn with half the remaining marinade. The easiest way to ensure everything is well coated is to use your hands, though this is a little messy! Tip into the prepared tin and slide onto the second runners of the roasting oven for ten minutes.
- Coat the sweet potato chunks with the last bit of marinade – add a touch more oil if the consistency is too thick. Remove the tin from the oven and tumble in the sweet potato and garlic cloves. Toss everything together gently and nestle the chicken thighs amongst the veg. Return to the oven for approximately 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Sprinkle over the avocado, crumble over the feta and garnish with freshly chopped coriander and sliced red chillies.
Aga range cooker tips and notes:
- It is very easy to adapt this recipe – just add more or less chicken or stretch further by adding a tin of black beans for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- If you like, use bone-in chicken thighs – you will need to cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Aga range cooker temperatures vary according to the age and model – if you find your traybake is cooking a little slower than you would like, simply move it up to the top runners for the final ten minutes. Similarly, if it is browning too quickly, move it to a lower set of runners.
- Chipotle paste varies from one brand to another in terms of heat – if you don’t like too much heat and are trying a new brand, use a little less. You can always bump up the heat with a little extra freshly sliced chilli at the end!
- If cooking for a crowd, use two roasting tins. Place the second one on the floor of the roasting oven – switch the trays round halfway through the cooking time.