By: Matthew Bates
Meal Type: Side Dish
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Servings: One Side Dish
An earthy zesty side dish that elevates the humble broccoli!
- Two heads of broccoli will make a generous side dish
- 1 Fresh Lemon
- A good olive oil around 1-2 Tbsp
- 1 Clove of garlic
- If you wish pine nuts to dress lightly toasted
This is so simple! The broccoli needs a short but fairly hot roast, a little browning adds to the earthy taste and works well with the zest kick of the lemon.
1. Cut your broccoli into small florets, about the size of a prosecco cork!
2. Gently coat the florets in the oil, do not be tempted to use too much. They should glisten with it, not be dripping. Season with salt & pepper, I like white pepper with this dish.
3. Finely grate one large clove of garlic, the fresher the better, and toss into the florets.
4. Roast for around 12 mins in your roasting oven (Approx. runs at 220 ℃). Don't pile them up, give them room to steam off!
5. Once they are cooked through, stems are best with a little bite, place in a serving dish and squeeze over the juice of half a lemon as your final seasoning. Taste it now, and add more 'zesty' flavour if you wish.
7. This dish also tastes great topped with pine nuts (lightly toasted) and paired up with halved sprouts, cooked alongside.
6. Serve immediately, and enjoy!