By: Katy Boys
Meal Type: Drink
Cook time: 1 Hour
Mid way through the Autumn term, Half term brings with it halloween. Here is a trick or treating recipe for your simmering oven. Before you head out with your costumed little ones to frighten all the locals, pop this juice in the bottom oven. An hour or so later you can return and warm up with this spicy warm seasonal drink & hot dogs before bed! Then, if there is some leftover pop in some amaretto and warm it again for a puddingy apple cheeky tipple!
- The zest of a large orange, washed and cut in generously sized strips
- The zest of a large Lemon, washed and cut in generously sized strips
- 3 star anise
- 6 or so Allspice berries
- Around 'half a thumb' or ginger finely sliced
- 1.5 ltrs of apple juice, not from concentrate
- 4 Tbsp of Maple Syrup, or I used a carob and Maple syrup mix as its yummy and a little cheaper.
- An apple, thinly sliced.
- Around 6 cloves
- A couple of cinnamon sticks
- Alcohol of your choice (once the kids are tucked up!)
1. Simply prepare all of the above, thinly slicing and avoiding the white pith of the citrus fruits. Pop in your oven proof pan, and sit it on the bottom of your simmering oven at around 120 ℃ for around an hour. You can pop it on the hot plate to warm it through a bit later if you wish, when you add that cheeky tipple! I would choose Amaretto, but I think that Apple & Dark Rum would be rather good too!